Federal Skilled Tradesmen 2016-12-31T04:11:18-06:00

Federal Skilled Tradesmen

If you want to become eligible under the Federal Skilled Trades Act then you will need to make sure that you pass the initial assessment. This means that you need to fulfil four requirements. If you have an offer for employment from either one or two Canadian employees for the duration of one year then you would be eligible for a skilled trade or an NOC level B. You may also be able to hold a certification for qualification for that trade if this is equivalent. You will need to make sure that you show language proficiency in Canada’s official languages and you would also need to have had 2 years of work experience within the last five years however this must be relevant to the skilled trade in question. On top of this, you also need to be more than capable of meeting the requirements of the job as defined by the NOC. It should also be noted that the Federal Trade Class is not open to applicants who want to establish themselves in Quebec because it has its own authority to establish its own applicants.

Offer of Employment

Each province outlines which professions will need to be regulated and established where applicable. It should be noted that provincial certification can be quite difficult to obtain when you are outside of Canada and this program is better if you are a tradesperson who has an offer of employment from a dedicated professional. They need to be working in Canada or working as a temporary foreign worker in order for this to be applicable. It should be noted that not every trade is regulated in every province and where a trade is not regulated, employment offers are mandatory. If you do have an approved offer of employment for a year or more then you are also eligible to make an offer. The offer will be evaluated to make sure that it is approvable but this stage is also done to make sure that the hiring won’t have a negative effect on the Canadian market.

Language Requirements

You will need to make sure that you provide evidence that states that you have proficiency in English or French and this includes listening, writing, reading and speaking. The only way to establish this properly would be to us a CIC language agency. The most used language tests would be the IELTS and the TEF. The IELTS is for English and the TEF is for French. Your performance will be scored and this will determine whether or not you are eligible.

Eligible Trades and Caps

The CIC will accept 3000 applicants at a maximum in the skilled trade class every calendar year. These trades are split into two different categories and these are those with a sub cap and those without a sub cap. See below to find out more information on these categories:






7202 Supervisors and Contractors, Electrical & Telecommunications

7204 Supervisors and Contractors, Carpentry

7205 Supervisors and Contractors, Construction Trades, Repairers, Installation Services, Servicers

7271 Carpenters

7301 Supervisors and Contractors, Mechanical

7302 Supervisors and Contractors, Heavy Equipment Crews

8211 Supervisors, Forestry and Logging

8221 Supervisors, Quarrying and Mining

8222 Supervisors and Contractors, Gas and Oil Drilling

8241 Logging Operators

8252 Agricultural, Farm Supervisors and Livestock Workers

9211 Supervisors, Metal and Mineral Processing

9212 Supervisors, Gas, Petroleum and Chemical Processing

9214 Supervisors, Plastic Product Manufacturing

9231 Central Operators, Metal and Mineral Processing

9241 Power Engineers and Power Systems Operators

9243 Water and Waste Operators

No Sub-Cap Applying:

7231 Machinists & Tooling Inspectors

7233 Sheet Metal Workers

7235 Structural Metal/Plate Fabricator/Fitters

7236 Ironworkers

7237 Welders

7241 Electricians (Minus Industrial and Power System

7242 Industrial Electricians

7243 Power System Electricians

7244 Electrical Power/Cable Workers

7245 Telecommunications Line

7246 Telecommunications Installation/Repair

7251 Plumbers

7252 Steamfitters, Sprinkler and Pipeline System Installers

7253 Gas Fitters

7311 Construction and Industrial Mechanics

7312 Heavy-Duty Mechanics

7313 Refrigeration/AC Mechanics

7314 Railway

7315 Aircraft Mechanics/ Inspectors

7318 Elevator Constructor/Mechanics

7371 Crane Operators

7372 Drillers/Blasters – Surface, Quarrying, Mining and Construction

7373 Water Drillers

8231 Underground and Development Miners

8232 Oil/Gas Drillers, Testers, Servicers and Related Workers

9232 Petroleum and Chemical Process Operators

If you would like to find out more about any of the above, please don’t hesitate to contact us today. We would be more than happy to take your call and we always work diligently to make sure that all of your questions are answered quickly and efficiently. Alternatively, why not take a look at our other pages today to see how we can help you to get the information you need to successfully apply for a visa. We have everything you need to get started and all of our information comes from trusted and reputable sources from within the industry.